This is a variation on the common white sauce which I used when I needed to make a quick sauce to have over Whole Foods spinach ravioli. I wanted the sauce to have a bit of flavor to enhance the somewhat bland ravioli. It was kinda based on a recipe for Ravioli with a Light Cream Sauce found in www.goodhousekeeping.com.
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ medium onion
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk. (I prefer whole milk)
¼ cup whipping cream
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and white pepper
1. Warm the milk in a microwave.
2. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions. Cook them, stirring frequently, until translucent but not browned.
4. Add the flour, stirring with a small whisk. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. If the flour-mixture begins to turn to a light biscuit-color remove from heat but continue to stir.
5. Gradually stir in the milk and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens slightly.
6. Lower the heat to low and stir in Parmesan cheese until it is well-mixed with the sauce.
7. Remove saucepan from the heat.
8. Stir in the cream.
9. Add salt and white pepper to taste.