This is my take on a New York Times recipe by Melissa Clark
INGREDIENTS (For Four Servings *)
• 1 ½ pounds chicken thighs
• 1 ¼ pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
• 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
• ½ teaspoon black pepper, more as needed
• 2 ½ tablespoons thick hot sauce, such as sriracha or harissa
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin
• 5 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
• 2 large or 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• ⅓ cup plain joghurt (do not use Greek joghurt)
• 1 small garlic clove
• 2 ounces baby arugula
• Chopped fresh dill, as needed
• Lemon juice, as needed
* Recipe can be doubled -- see directions at end.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the hot sauce, cumin and 4 tablespoons oil.
• Rinse the chicken well and pat dry. Place on a board and season both sides with salt and pepper.
• Put the chicken pieces in a large bowl and pour hot sauce mixture over. Turn chicken to coat.
• Place chicken in fridge for at least an hour, at most eight hours. Let stand at room temperature for the final thirty minutes.
• Meanwhile peel potatoes, cut in half and slice into ½ inch slices and leave in a pot of water.
• About 20 minutes before starting to cook the meal prep the leeks and combine them, the lemon zest, a pinch of salt and the remaining 1 ½ tablespoons oil
• When ready to cook the meal, drain the water and re-cover the potatoes with cold water and place pot on a burner at high heat.
• Heat oven to 425° F (220° C). Set a shelf about ⅓ of the way down (*)
• Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the chicken pieces, skin side up, on it. Leave space for the potatoes between the pieces. Keep the remaining hot sauce mixture in its bowl.
• When the potatoes have boiled for 5 minutes, drain well in a colander and add them to the bowl with the remaining hot sauce. Toss with spoons to cover and add to the baking sheet amongst the chicken.
• Place the sheet in the heated oven and roast the chicken and potatoes for 15 minutes.
• Remove pan from oven and scatter the leek mixture over the potatoes.
• Return sheet to oven and roast for a further 25-30 minutes until chicken and potatoes are cooked through.
• While the chicken cooks, place the joghurt in a small bowl, press the garlic over, season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir.
• When the chicken and potatoes are cooked, remove from oven and transfer to a warmed serving salver. Scatter arugula and dill over. Mix a little oil and lemon juice and pour over. Either add the joghurt sauce to the dish or serve it alongside.
• Serve with a green salad.
(*) If you have doubled the recipe, prep two baking sheets and divide the chicken, potatoes, and leek mixture between them. Put one sheet ⅓ of the way from the top and the other ⅓ of the way from the bottom. Swap them around every 15 minutes.